Hobart is the capital of Tasmania’s state city. Hobart is home to an approximate population of 224,000, which is 0.93 percent of the Australian people.
A majority of Tasmania inhabitants reside in Hobart. Following Sydney, located in New South Wales, Hobart is the second-oldest city in Australia. Hobart’s area Hobart is 1,695.5 square kilometers.
Based on our findings, the Hobart population will increase to 259,178 by the end of June 2022. The end of June is the date we use every year due to Australia Bureau Statistics always following Australia financial year to publish the figures.
This calculation relies on an annual growth rate of 2.37 percent over the last ten years, starting in 2011. We believe that using the latest numbers from the previous years (see our table in the next section) will help make the estimate more precise.
Table of Contents
Population Growth of Hobart
Looking back at the last ten years, Hobart’s population has grown. Still, the growth rate is quite unpredictable, ranging between 0.01 percent to 6.04 percent, adding between 27,416 to 12,416 residents every year to the total population.
Hobart’s population continues its gradual but steady rise upwards due to many residents moving into Greater Hobart.
Demography of Hobart
According to the Australian census data, around 17.9 percent of Hobart’s residents are from overseas, most often those from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and China.
The top five ancestries of Hobart residents Hobart include Australian, English, Irish, Scottish, and German.
The five most popular languages (other than English) spoken in Hobart include Mandarin, German, Italian, Greek, and Dutch.
The top five birth countries for Hobart are England, New Zealand, Scotland, Netherlands, and Germany.
The demographics of religion are: 58.6% of inhabitants declared the Christian faith. Actual religious affiliations include Anglican 26.2 percent, Catholic of 20.3%, Uniting Church 3.4%, and Presbyterian and Reformed comprising 1.9 percent.
From the perspective of occupation from a job perspective, most professions are professionals 21.6 percent, Clerical and Administrative Workers approximately 16.1 percent, Techs and Trades Workers comprising 13.8 percent, Managers 11.5 percent, and Community and Personal Service Workers 10.6 percent.
The Population Density in Hobart
Hobart, The population density of Hobart, is approximately 124 people for every square kilometer, considered the second most urbanized capital city in the world, following Darwin located in Australia.
The reason for this is the large area and the small population compared to other cities; however, it’s still about three times the densities of Darwin.
Facts About Hobart
- Hobart is the country’s second-lowest rainfall (626 mm, or 24 inches) of all Australian capital cities.
- Hobart is named for Robert Hobart, the British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, during its establishment in 1804.
- The average summer temperature is comfortable at 21 degrees Celsius (70degF). The average winter temperature temperatures are 12-degree Celsius (52deg F).
- After Hobart’s Port, the following destination is Antarctica. Tasmania is among the most southernly habitable Islands and is about the same size as West Virginia. It’s located around 250 miles off the shores from Mainland Australia.
- Hobart is well-known worldwide among the yachting community because it is the place to finish Hobart, the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race. Hobart Yacht Race starts in Sydney on Boxing Day (after Christmas Day).
- Hobart was established in 1803 as a penal colony. It is now a bustling port and the port of call for Antarctic expeditions.
- Hobart Theatre Royal (1836) Hobart Theatre Royal (1836) is the longest-running major theatre in Australia.
- Each year, Hobart receives 40.8 clear days. Hobart has minor days of sunshine at 5.9 hours of sun per day compared with other major Australian towns.
The following links provide data for this topic:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: www.abs.gov.au
- australia.com: www.australia.com
- australia.gov.au: australia.gov.au